Sunday, June 15, 2014

kaspersky sucks yet again

this is getting to the point where, in spite of my comfort level with the status quo and my desire not to change too much deep root stuff on a computer (like an anti-virus software or security suite), a change in software is a very real possibility as once again, kaspersky pure 3.0 almost shut down my computer and required me to stop what i was doing to turn off the automatic scan that will not run in the background without disconnecting my internet connection, slowing the computer to a crawl (or stop), and sometimes just locking the computer up completely... i've had kaspersky for years, i believe i am in my third 3 year subscription for multple computers, but it is getting worse again... if anyone can tell me how to set this annoying kaspersky pure 3.0 to not start an automatic scan when i am using the computer, like the computer must be idle for at least 30 minutes before it starts, i'd appreciate it... so i sent them this:

I have searched the knowledge base repeatedly for this "scheduled scan" "how do I stop a scheduled scan from running when I am using the computer?" That is what I want to know. I have idle scan on. The scans (full, critical, vulnerability) are set to run in the middle of the night. They often automatically turn on as I am using the computer and either disconnect my internet connection, slow the computer to a crawl, stop the computer completely, It is very annoying, delays work, and I sometimes lose work which is unacceptable and has be exploring alternatives when my 3 year license expires (this is my second or third 3 year license so I want to stay with Kaspersky, but the interruption of work must stop).

I just want to know how to stop the scheduled scan from starting when I am using the computer. I have not found a feature that sets the scheduled fan to wait until the computer has been idle for a specified period of time. That would be what I need.

Thanks,

and hopefully they will not tell me there is no such feature to configure Pure 3.0 to not interrupt an active CPU process and I must remember (cuz the biggest problem is i forget kaspersky does this and then have something lock up and must either reboot or wait for the unlocking to happen and hope it does cuz sometimes it doesn't) to manually open the console before i do anything else every time I wake the computer and wait for the scan to automatically start so i can press the stop or pause button which is just another way Kaspersky forces me to interrupt my work...

it's the before i do anything else that destroys any momentary inspiration for writing or immediate work that needs to be done or quick search for something, the three biggest reasons i have a computer in the first place so once again, if that is the only solution, kaspersky may just have to go...

7 comments:

  1. I have used Kaspersky Antivirus since 2000 but the 2014 and 2015 versions have been so full of bugs I am about to try something else. 2015 versions just recently released and already there is a patch A then B, MR1 (maintenance release) and now MR2 is in beta test. Anymore I think Kaspersky just releases their product and then all customers become beta testers until they finally fix all the bugs but by that time the next version is coming out. Then it is repeat everything all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you on that one, Anonymous. I was a big fan of Kaspersky back in the day, but lately they want to be just like so many other companies and care only about taking people's money, but not doing their jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Feb. I bought 3 years worth in Dec. It had a severe impact on performance, so I set the scans to manual. Tonite all I did was click on the icon. All it would do is say "Loading". No home screen nor anything. I had to ctrl/alt/del just to get things going again. I called them, & since this isn't the first prob I've had, told'em flat-out I want a refund. "But it's beyond the 30 day warranty." OK. BBB, AG, all kinds of places I can hurt you. "I'll forward your refund request but it's gonna take 5 working days." This is Wed. Next Tues, if there's no refund, I'm gonna review them to every site I can think of, especially the regulatory sites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AVG looks better all the time, even the ones ya have to pay for. I paid a lot for this & only got headaches. AVG never let me down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried it because Kapersky came with a laptop I bought for my wife from Best Buy (and they seemed to be pushing it). What an annoying piece of software! Always interrupting things and notifying me that things are out of date, and then not letting me update them! Goodbye Kapersky. Going back to my tried and true Norton (not without its problems, mind you, but at least it's not amateur hour).

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I've heard about Norton is how bulky it is, how it uses way too much resources and brings too many unwanted side-software to the computer. As awful as Kaspersky can be at times, it runs fairly smoothly in it's lastest Total Security suite. It still gets some of the highest ratings for protection out there, which is why I stay with it despite the glitches and slow downs. I may have finally figure out that I can turn the scans off and operate it manually which keeps it from bogging down the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First time Kaspersky user, and I must say that the 2017 version is actually pretty damn good. No issues so far at all. However I would highly recommend turning off https scanning, antivirus have no business scanning that stuff.

    ReplyDelete