Saturday, July 28, 2018

Google-Blogger Doesn't Listen or Care

Prove me wrong.

For months Google-Blogger has had complaints about the broken comment and post notification system. They made changes in late May and still have not fixed what they broke. If they made improvements, I haven't noticed them and they haven't publicized them enough for me to notice and I am Google-Blogger almost every day, often several times a day as I also use Gmail accounts for multiple mailboxes, Google maps for most travel, and a lot more. Overall I've almost loved Google over the years, for as much as one can love an impersonal goliath corporation, but more and more Google is taking the screw-users path like Facebook and Microsoft and even Apple has chosen. Just look at politics and religion, which I do my est not to do as often as I am able. It sucks to live in a world where interacting with your own species requires tolerance for greed, hatred, apathy, disrespect, and more. It sucks worse to be aware that more than 80% of the humans purport to ideals that condemn greed and many of the choices they make daily in the lives they choose to live. There are moments I'd like to live far from humans and have as little to do with my own species as possible and I actually do stay far away from most human interactions, but I too am a social being and want sharing and caring in my life. So here I am.

I know I ramble, I call it babbling, and maybe my message is lost to many in the plethora of words I enjoy playing with. Or maybe you are offended because I ends sentences with with, sometimes. See how I didn't there? Anyway, even wit my tongue firmly implanted in my cheek, I continue to try to put a serious message out here on the internet from time to time and this blog is one place I do that, as meaningless as it may be. Posterity cares. Maybe. In case it matters and you want more of my babbling, click the links on the right like for instance, the introduction or even this list if you have the time and interest.

So to Google directly, some of you may be geniuses, but I would like you to not live up to the stereotype that geniuses lack social skills and an understanding of social interactions, especially when you are creating social media platforms.

Simply and specifically, Google, fix your comment-post notification system. The two anonymous and possible SPAM comments I responded to today in this blog deserved the respect of a reply when they were posted and not the disrespect of being ignored for months until I found the time to check your very poorly re-designed landing page that you may have had good cause to re-design when you did, but has always been less useful to me than your previous landing page. The complaints from many frequent users back then will probably fall on most of the same deaf ears as will this one, but many, including me, have posted about this in your forums.

Your updates and supposed upgrades should enhance communication and not undermine it.

I wonder, does blogger have a mission, vision, and purpose statement?

It should include enhancing communication for humanity.




Something to ponde, aye? This is from an article about mission statements.

When this article originally published in 2014, you could immediately locate the Google mission and company philosophy on the 'about us' page.

"Google’s mission is to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful."

The company philosophy listed the following 10 values that Google holds to be true:

Focus on the user and all else will follow.
It’s best to do one thing really, really well.
Fast is better than slow.
Democracy on the web works.
You don’t need to be at your desk to need an answer.
You can make money without doing evil.
There’s always more information out there.
The need for information crosses all borders.
You can be serious without a suit.
Great just isn’t good enough.

The current About Us Google page captures that mission visually.

For you with no time to click on a link (as it is on their site today with their full color emphasis):


Blogger is not a "Company" so maybe that's why it has no mission statement. Based on decisions made from the user end, it doesn't actually seem to have much of a mission.

Maybe Google's creators need to ask themselves if they are living up to their own words...


"As we go forward, I hope we're going to continue to use technology to make really big differences in how people live and work." - Sergey Brin

"We have a mantra: don't be evil, which is to do the best things we know how for our users, for our customers, for everyone. So I think if we were known for that, it would be a wonderful thing." - Larry Page


Sometimes the decisions you make feel almost evil to those your decisions affect.

Google, are you listening?

Don't do this.

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment